Sunday 5 February 2012

A Place To Start

I've been sitting here trying to come up with a starting point for the transformation of my Beautiful Mess. It's a fairly overwhelming concept, the idea of changing your Mess. I've decided to pick the top five things that have been bugging me for some time now, and commit to actively making choices to improve them. I want these things in particular to be a sick, iradescent reflection of who I am, and never mind anyone else. Effort needs to be made on my part to engage aesthetic development. Or... something.

1. My hair. I've been growing it out for the past six months from when I had it lightened. As a result, it is now shoulder length, brittle, and appears almost as though is has been balyaged by a stoned, blind elephant brandishing a paintbrush. MISSION- begin regular hair treatments, decide on a colour and make the effort to style it (at the very least, brush it) daily.

2. My diary. I know, I know, as my mother would tell you, I am one of the most disorganised harebrained people on the planet. I don't deny it. In fact, I embrace it (I will continue to attempt to explain over the course of the life of this blog, be it three days, three years or three... well... let's not get carried away). The fact is, my diary is a combination of word vomit, highlighter squiggles and pieces of paper with undoubtedly important information written on them that are slotted in between it's gloriously numbered pages. However, as a diary is an exceptionally useful tool, and one that I am determined to incorporate as a stylish, necessary element of sophistication in my Mess- MISSION- learn how to effectively manage page space, inappropriately continue to use various pens and textas (after all, that's half the fun) and most importantly- remember to check it every day.

3. My liquor intake. I am going to limit it. HA! Just kidding. I am, however, raising the bar of my alcohlic consumption. Down with cheap vodka (it makes me sick and I don't like the taste). Down with white wine (sooooooo over it). Down with Cosmopolitans. Now, this one almost brings a tear to my eye- allow me to explain. I have been ordering Cosmopolitans as my cocktail of choice since I was seventeen, purely because that was the first cocktail I ever learned the name of. Sadly, truth be told, I have probably only ever had three cosmopolitans worth drinking in that time. Time for a new cocktail. MISSION- stop ordering vodka or scotch and diet coke by default. To self: try something new, you boring loser.

4. My wardrobe. Ok. This one I'm not even going to go into, as I would bore you to death and probably incite rage and hatred in all my possible readers due to how pathetic I am. I will settle, therefore, for sharing the following nonesensical words, and be thankkful that in my swirling whirlpool of a brain I can sort of see it working... sparkles, ruffles, fur, leopard print, mass necklaces, chokers, giant rings, new headwear, leather, large bags, crochet, long skirts, new sunglesses, strange shapes, patterns, feathers, flowers... MISSION- work out what I love about my personal style and run with it. No. Not run with it. Fly with it.

5. My room. It's mismatched, falling to bits and awful. There is hardly any reflection of my personality in my bedroom, in it's current state. Think about how much time you spend in your bedroom. It's your sanctuary. Your hideaway. Your creative haven, your study space, your resting room. Given the amount of time that one spends in one's bedroom, I would go as far as to say it's the room of the house that should have the most of your beautiful self boucing off the walls. Mine, sadly, does not. Not for long though. MISSION- get my room pretty. Make it a place I want to be, a place that smells like flowers and sunshine and everything I love in the world. = My Happy Place.

... righto. That's probably quite enough to be getting on with.

M x