Saturday 23 February 2013

Fringe Festival 2013!

Hey there, Sexpot!

Ah, Sunday. A lazy, luxurious, lounging day. A day reserved specifically for the browsing of the internet, the baking of cookies, the watching of movies, the twiddling of thumbs. I feel pleasantly refreshed this morning after a decent night's sleep, which I haven't managed to achieve for a few days- I was sooo tired last night! I hope you are having a lovely Sunday morning, and that you have nothing to do today other than sink into a delectable pile of squishy cushions and soak up your considerable awesomeness.

. . . . .
 

For the most part, Adelaide is a sleepy little city that sits at the bottom of Australia doing nothing. Often times, Adelaide is described by others who have visitied here as a 'big old country town'. Our CBD is a grand total of two square miles. It is surrounded by rolling parklands. There is precisely one shopping strip in the CBD, and perhaps four hotspots within the centre of the city for cafes and dining. All in all, it's teeny. You can walk from one side to the other in half an hour.

However once a year, a massive, loud, whirling, fizzing, exuberant, fairylight-covered mess erupts at the Eastern end of the city. This gargantuan spectacle attracts visitors from all over the globe, and performances of every nature fill all the nooks and crannies of our sleepy little town for four glorious weeks. I am, of course, talking about the Adelaide Fringe Festival.

It is, without a doubt, the most exciting time in Adelaide each year. Every person I know looks forward to Fringe time, because at Fringe time, something magical happens. Where there was once a rolling, hilly park at the end of a cafe strip, a giant, magical playground seems to erect itself as though by magic. This fantastical construction is called the Garden of Unearthly Delights.


Thanks, Mike Krebs!

The Garden is a sumptuous playground of sights, smells and sounds. There's an astounding array of international foods ranging from Cuban to Turkish to Italian. There are several pop-up bars dotted under the canopy of fairylight-covered trees, including a bar set up in a disused double decker bus. Performers trek from all over the globe for the chance to share their talents in the Garden. You name it, we've got it- rope tricks, jazz bands, jugglers, midget comedians, sword swallowers. There are sideshows and rides, circus tents, glittering costumes, impromptu performances... it's absolutely, truly spectacular. It's my all-time favourite event on the calendar in Adelaide. Maybe even in Australia. And I got to visit the Garden on Friday night!

Here are a few happy snaps from my adventure- sorry about the poor quality, they were taken on my iPhone 3GS! (Don't laugh at me!)


Fairy lights in the trees <3
 

 
Left: The Claw ride! The hot pink carriages were so pretty spinning round and round and round and round and round and round ...
Right: The FERRIS WHEEL!!!
NOTE: I had been wanting to ride the ferris wheel at the Fringe for about three years and never had the chance. I made sure I did it this year! I even got a sneaky ferris wheel kiss at the top- best night ever!
 
 

Myself and the gorgeous Carmel, flipping out on our rickety old ferris wheel ride with our respective 'beau's!
 

 
 
Top: Aqua Balls! I had never seen these before, so imagine my delight when my most hilarious friend paid to crawl inside a deflated, giant balloon, get puffed up to the size of a teenaged elephant and bob around in a pool of water! Absolute hilarity.
Bottom: The boys on the dodgem cars. Bless.
 
 
 
Two of my most favourite, favourite things combined- a cupcake ferris wheel!
 
 
The Garden is such a fantastical place, filled with magic and wonder. It's like stepping back in time to a nineteen fifties circus show. I can't wait to get back there and get some more great photos (although next time, I will make sure I remember to take my DSLR so I can get some decent pictures!).
 
I also happen to be going to a Fringe show hosted on Rundle Street (which is right near the Garden) on Thursday evening with my lady friends- it's called Champagne Cabaret and it sounds like it's going to be an absolute hoot!
 
Check out the Garden of Unearthly Delights, and have a look at the wider Adelaide Fringe Festival programme!
 
 
Ferris wheel kisses and all that jazz,
 
MJ x